Senior Superintendent - Water, Waste Water Construction
With close to 50 years of experience, Maple is a full-service Design/Build and Construction Management firm specializing in industrial/commercial/institutional facilities, municipal infrastructure and environmental projects. We strive for technical distinction, professionalism, quality workmanship and ultimately, for integrity in building excellence. Maple Reinders has been named as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the 5th year in a row and we are very proud of this accomplishment.
Maple Reinders currently has a permanent, full time, opportunity for a Construction Superintendent. The Superintendent provides site management for all phases of the construction project including coordinating workers, material, and equipment as well as ensuring that specifications are being followed, work is proceeding on schedule and within budget the project is completed with outstanding quality and that the project is a safe workplace. The morals, ethics and standards of the company and its employees are to be reflected.
The Superintendent assumes a wide range of responsibilities in the process of managing, coordinating and organizing construction activities including, but not limited to:
Project Organization / Pre-Construction
- Understanding of the contract and scope of work, ensuring scope of work is clearly communicated to trades.
- Identifying and eliminating/controlling all actual or potential hazards and risks and document on the Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment Log.
- Completing a detailed review of drawings and specifications.
- Developing and communicating a 2 week look-ahead schedule.
- Conducting weekly progress review meetings with Trades to review weekly schedule and update accordingly
- Understanding entitlements and immediately notifying the Project Manager for changes and conditions.
- Maintaining site files, supplies, equipment, and services.
- Reviewing shop drawings.
- Attending all project meetings.
- Participating in developing a cost-effective plan and schedule for completion of the project and following a logical pattern for utilization of resources.
- Maintaining cleanliness and organization of the site office.
- Coordinating the work of subcontractors working on various phases of the project.
- Controlling and directing subcontractors, Maple Reinders labour and labour relations
- Providing on-site supervision for all project personnel and phases of construction, resolving complaints and grievances with employees.
- Completing all paperwork as required in the MRI/MRCL Superintendent Manual.
- Reporting any challenges or issues to the Project Manager and/or General Superintendent in a timely manner.
- Maintaining accurate as build drawings for underground utilities and plan changes as they occur.
- Keeping a daily log of site activities on the project including by not limited to: All trades and number of personnel/trade, description of work, weather, and safety hazards or issues.
- Expeditious completion of project deficiencies.
- Managing all aspects of safety on site including:
- Enforcing on site safety in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act the latest regulations and MRI/MRCL Health and Safety Policy Manual.
- Leading on site safety meetings with trades and Maple Reinders labour.
- Reporting all accidents and incidents promptly.
- Continually ensure any hazards are identified/controlled/eliminated and recorded and filed in the Safety Records Binder.
- Discuss the hazards with all workers at meetings (i.e. weekly toolbox meetings, monthly safety meetings etc.).
- Ensuring site personnel have required safety training and records are maintained.
- Ensure all preventative maintenance is conducted according to manufacturer specifications and that records are maintained.
- Maintaining a good working relationship with all subcontractors and ensures they are treated fairly.
- Maintaining professional conduct at all times with owners, consultants, trades, suppliers and the public.
- Developing good working relationship with owners and consultants.
- Reporting progress to owners and architects.
- Supervising Level 1 Superintendents, reviewing their reports, checking on any reported difficulties, and correcting any safety violations or other reported deficiencies.
- Making realistic commitments to the Project Manager/General Superintendent, trades, owners and consultants.
- Coaching and mentoring hourly employees as well as Level 1 and Level 2 Superintendents.
- Responsibility for proper administration of construction contracts and for ensuring all necessary permits and licenses are in place.
- Receiving, tracking and inspection of field purchases and materials, keeping daily records of labour, equipment, concrete, aggregates, rentals, subcontracts and force accounts (DWR).
- Assisting with cost control, proper coding and managing project within budget.
- Assisting with progress payments and change orders.
- Ensuring complete, accurate daily documentation of work, understanding of subcontractor scope of work to avoid any unnecessary change orders.
- Identifying problems early and immediately notifying Project Manager/General Superintendent. Full and immediate disclosure of any issues or problems is imperative.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Pursuing training and development opportunities, striving to continually build knowledge and take opportunities to share expertise with others.
- Gaining an understanding of the Maple Reinders Vision & Mission Statements, our history, culture and capabilities and perform your duties in that context.
- Ten or more years experience assisting or supervising construction projects of increasing complexity, ICI and or Heavy Civil projects
- Post secondary education in Civil/Mechanical Engineering or Technology, or related experience
- Gold Seal certification preferred
- Proficient MS Office and Windows-based computer applications skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment
- Physical ability to navigate obstacles on a construction site such as: climbing permanent and temporary stairs, climbing ladders and negotiating work areas under construction, particularly narrow, uneven, and irregular surfaces.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, changing light conditions and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to visually identify dangers and hazardous conditions.
- Performing this job requires use of hands (to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls) ability to sit, talk, hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Regularly work on-site at the construction work site (walking the site up to 80% of the day) with exposure to moving mechanical parts; working at heights; working in confided spaces; fumes or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions (both hot and cold temperatures).
- Ability to communicate alarms or warnings clearly, concisely, loudly and quickly, as well as clearly hear alarms or warnings and take appropriate action.
- Ability to coordinate and direct the activities of multiple employees and or subcontractors at any given time.
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings and specifications.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to get the job done in an efficient manner through the effective use of resources (manpower, equipment and sub-trades).
- A good understanding of construction principles and what works in specific situations
- Ability to effectively problem solve and take decisive action within the limits of authority.
- Strong leadership skills and be able to work towards a shared purpose in the best interests of delivering quality work.
- Ability to address and resolve conflicts and disagreements with candour and initiate strategies to manage conflict in order to reach the best solution for the organization.
- Ability to work as part of a team and promote an environment that encourages employees to work together.
- Ability to negotiate, exchange ideas, information, and opinions with others to formulate plans and actions to jointly arrive at decisions, conclusions, solutions or solve disputes.
- Teaching subject matter to others, of training others through explanation, demonstration and supervised practice; or making recommendations on the basis of technical disciplines.
- Dealing with individuals with a range of moods and behaviours in a tactful, congenial, personal manner so as not to alienate or antagonize them.
- Ability to follow Maple Reinders policies and procedures and interpret them within the confines of their limits of authority.
- Ability to understand, remember and execute complex instructions.
- Ability to maintain attention and concentration and maintain a high level of alertness.
- Ability to exercise flexibility in decision making and exercise good judgement in tense situations.
- Ability to set realistic goals.
- Ability to quickly assimilate information and utilize in a prompt and effective manner to direct the work of others.
- Ability to work safely and proactively resolve any unsafe conditions.
- Ability to work in environments with moderate to very loud noise levels.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather.
- Work may be performed in confided or restricted working environments.
- Travel is required on a regular basis.
- Most of the work is carried out in a construction site environment.
- Exposure to loud noises and various types of machinery.
- Exposure to the elements.
- Critical position with intense demands.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary range: $100,000 to $120,000 (depending on experience).
- Benefits include: supplementary medical, dental, STD, LTD, AD&D, life insurance, health spending account, access to on-site gym.
We want you to succeed and we are prepared to get you there by investing in you. We offer extensive training through our “Centre of Learning” to facilitate your career growth through programs such as LEED, Gold Seal and “lunch and learns”.
If you would like to be part of our continued success, please provide your project list including the dollar value along with your resume and cover letter.
Thank you for your interest in a career with Maple Reinders. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Reinders is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Maple Reinders accommodates candidates with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
No agency calls please.
Head Office Address:
Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd.
2660 Argentia Road
Mississauga, ON L5N 5V4
Phone: (905) 821-4844
Fax: (905) 821-8817
People, Passion, Performance